Let's Talk: (480) 744-7442
(480) 744-7442
Child Support Attorney Scottsdale AZ – FAQ

Child Support FAQ’s

  1. Will I have to pay child support?
    Typically, yes. In Arizona, courts will always look out for the “best interests” of the children. This means that because parents have an obligation to provide “reasonable support” for their minor children, the courts will order them to support them financially.
  2. How is child support calculated in Arizona?
    The child support obligation is calculated by the court using the parents’ gross incomes and several additional factors, including the number of children the parents have together, the ages of the children, the amount of spousal support paid or received by each party, cost of childcare and health insurance for the children and parenting time exercised by each parent.
  3. Will the court consider the income from my second job in my child support calculation?
    Generally, the court does not consider income from a second job or overtime unless the income is “consistent and regular.”
  4. How is a child support order in Arizona enforced if a parent is not paying?
    Child support can be enforced by one of the following methods:
    • Income Withholding
    • Credit bureau reporting
    • Offset state tax refunds
    • Seizing assets
    • License suspension or revocation
    • Property liens
  5. In Arizona, does child support end when a child turns 18?
    Typically, child support ends once the child has either graduated from high school or has turned 19 years of age, whichever happens first.
  6. When can you modify a child support order in Arizona?
    Parents can request a modification of their existing child support order, whether they are the custodial or noncustodial parent when there has been a significant and continuing change within the household. This may include adding or changing health insurance, a loss of a job, a new job, disability, or an increase or decrease in income for either parent. Typically, a modification can be requested if there is an increase or decrease in income that would cause a 15% increase or decrease in the child support amount paid.
  7. How do I modify a child support order in Arizona?
    To make changes to the child support amount, you can file a Petition to Modify Child Support with the court.
  8. When is the start date for temporary child support in Arizona?
    It is recommended that once you and your spouse have decided to divorce, you reach an agreement about how expenses will be shared until your divorce is final. If this is not an option, you can go to court to request a temporary child support order from a judge. Once the request is correctly filed, a hearing will be scheduled within days or weeks and a judge will issue his or her decision.
How can we help you?
Live Chat
DMCA.com Protection Status